Some of you may recall my complaints in July about very poor Solaris 10 performance when re-reading large collections of medium-sized (5MB) files, and recall verifying the situation on your own systems (including OpenSolaris). I now have an IDR installed under Solaris 10U8 which includes a fix for this problem. I am told that the fix will likely appear within the next month or two as a Solaris 10 kernel patch.

While first-read performance has not improved, the re-read performance improvement due to the fix is quite dramatic:

U8 Baseline (Generic_141445-09)
===============================

Doing initial (unmount/mount) 'cpio -C 131072 -o > /dev/null'
144000768 blocks

real    8m35.46s
user    0m4.21s
sys     1m16.30s

Doing second 'cpio -C 131072 -o > /dev/null'
144000768 blocks

real    35m35.85s
user    0m4.66s
sys     1m25.63s

U8 + IDR143158-03
=================

Doing initial (unmount/mount) 'cpio -C 131072 -o > /dev/null'
144000768 blocks

real    8m39.18s
user    0m4.47s
sys     1m26.90s

Doing second 'cpio -C 131072 -o > /dev/null'
144000768 blocks

real    8m36.04s
user    0m4.46s
sys     1m19.58s