slow and steady wins the race ?

I ended up doing a zpool remove of c6d1p0.  This stopped the replace and it
removed c6d1p0, and left the array doing a scrub, which was going to take by
rough calculations around 12 months and increasing !

So I shut the box down, disconnected the SATA cable from c3t1d0 and restarted
the box....it then hung on startup and wouldn't mount any ZFS volumes and no
disk activity....

So I shut the box down again, reconnected the SATA cable to c3t1d0 and
restarted the box.  It came up (phew).

zpool status showed the scrub was running again:

scrub: scrub in progress for 0h3m, 0.00% done, 8769h2m to go
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

So this time I offlined c3t1d0:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage     DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1    DEGRADED     0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  OFFLINE      0     0     0
            c3t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

then I ran the zpool replace and now it's doing the replace:

 scrub: resilver in progress for 0h15m, 4.10% done, 6h7m to go
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage        DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1       DEGRADED     0     0     0
            c3t0d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing  DEGRADED     0     0  570K
              c3t1d0   OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c6d1p0   ONLINE       0     0     0  23.7G resilvered
            c3t2d0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0     ONLINE       0     0     0

I don't care if it takes a day, as long as it works :o)
Thanks so far for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.