On Thu 24/12/09 10:31 , "Thomas Burgess" wonsl...@gmail.com sent:
> I was wondering what the best method of moving a pool from FreeBSD 8.0 to
> OpenSolaris is.
>
> When i originally built my system, it was using hardware which wouldn't
> work in opensolairs, but i'm about to do an upgrade so i should be able to
> use Opensolaris when i'm done.
>

> I know i probably can't import my current pool into opensolaris, but i was
> thinking i could use the 8 drives and create a pool which i COULD import,
> using that to back up my data.

 Is the pool on slices or whole drives?  If the latter, you should be able to
import the pool (unless BSD introduces any incompatibilities).

> I'm not sure how to go about it.  Basically, how should i format my
> drives in FreeBSD, create a ZPOOL which can be imported into OpenSolaris.

I'm not sure about BSD, but Solaris ZFS works with whole devices.  So there
isn't any OS specific formatting involved.  I assume BSD does the same.

> Also, is it possible to install opensolaris to compact flash cards?  The
> reason i ask is that i know the root pool can't be raidz.

Yes, I had a system booting of CD cards (in an IDE/CF adapter).

--

Ian.