On 24 Dec 2009, at 21:27, Mattias Pantzare <pant...@ludd.ltu.se> wrote:

An EFI label isn't "OS specific formatting"!

It is. Not all OS will read an EFI label.

You misunderstood the concept of OS specific, I feel. EFI is indeed OS independent; however, that doesn't necesssarily imply that all OSs can read EFI disks. My Commodore 128D could boot CP/M but couldn't understand FAT32 -
that doesn't mean that therefore FAT32 isn't OS independent either.

On a PC EFI is very OS specific as most OS on that platform does not
support EFI.

Still false, I'm afraid. There is nothing OS specific about EFI, regardless of whether any given OS supports EFI or not. Nor does it need to be a "PC" - I have several Mac PPCs that can read EFI partitioned disks (as well as some Intel ones). These can also be read by other systems that understand EFI partitioned disks.

Alex