This isn't an option for me.  The current machine is going to be totally
upgraded,

New motherboard, new ram (ecc) new controller cards  and 9 new hard drives.

Current pool is 3 raidz1 vdevs with 4 drives each (all 1 tb)

It's about 65% full.

If i have to use some other filesystem that is an option, but i need to be
able to use the 9 new disks to somehow backup the data on the FreeBSD 8.0
system, then destory the old pool, create a new pool using the same drives
in Opensolaris with the new motherboard/controillers/memory and copy the
data to the new pool
Afterward i intend to create more vdevs (i haven't decided which way to go
yet....i could either do 5  4 disk raidz vdevs, 4 5 disk raidz vdevs or
maybe something weird like 2 7 disk raidz vdevs with 1 6 disk raidz
vdev....i don't know yet....but that's beside the point)