On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Thomas Burgess <wonsl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to build a ZFS based NAS and i'd like some suggestions about how to
> set up my drives.
>
> The case i'm using holds 20 hot swap drives, so i plan to use either 4 vdevs
> with 5 drives or 5 vdevs with 4 drives each (and a hot spare inside the
> machine)
>

> The motherboard i'm getting has 4 pci-x slots 2 @ 133 Mhz and 2 @ 100 Mhz
>
> I was planning on buying 3 of the famous AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards which would give
> me more than enough sata slots.  I'll also have 6 onboard slots.
>
> I also plan on using 2 sata=> compact flash adapters with 16 gb compact flash
> cards for the os.

For the OS, I'd drop the adapter/compact-flash combo and use the
"stripped down" Kingston version of the Intel x25m MLC SSD.  If you're
not familiar with it, the basic scoup is that this drive contains half
the flash memory (40Gb) *and* half the controller channels (5 versus
10) of the Intel drive - and so, performance is basically a little
less than half although read performance is still very good.  For more
info, google for  hardware reviews.  This product is still a little
hard to find, froogle for the following part numbers:

Desktop Bundle - SNV125-S2BD/40GB
Bare drive - SNV125-S2/40GB

Currently you can find the bare drive for under $100.  This is bound
to give you better performance and guaranteed compatibility compared
to adapters and compact flash.

The problem with adapters is that, although the price is great,
compatibility and build quality are all over the map and YMMV
considerably.  You would not be happy if you saved $20 on the
adapter/flash combo and ended up with nightmare reliability.

The great thing about 2.5" SSDs is that mounting is simply a question
of duct tape or velcro! [ well .... almost ... but you can velcro them
onto the sidewall of you case ]  So you can use all your available
3.5" disk drive bays for ZFS disks.

> My main question is what is the best way to lay out the vdevs?
>
> Does it really matter how i lay them out considering i only have gigabit
> network?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Regards,

--