> For the OS, I'd drop the adapter/compact-flash combo and use the
> "stripped down" Kingston version of the Intel x25m MLC SSD.  If you're
> not familiar with it, the basic scoup is that this drive contains half
> the flash memory (40Gb) *and* half the controller channels (5 versus
> 10) of the Intel drive - and so, performance is basically a little
> less than half although read performance is still very good.  For more
> info, google for  hardware reviews.  This product is still a little
> hard to find, froogle for the following part numbers:
>
> Desktop Bundle - SNV125-S2BD/40GB
> Bare drive - SNV125-S2/40GB
>
> Currently you can find the bare drive for under $100.  This is bound
> to give you better performance and guaranteed compatibility compared
> to adapters and compact flash.
>
> The problem with adapters is that, although the price is great,
> compatibility and build quality are all over the map and YMMV
> considerably.  You would not be happy if you saved $20 on the
> adapter/flash combo and ended up with nightmare reliability.
>
> The great thing about 2.5" SSDs is that mounting is simply a question
> of duct tape or velcro! [ well .... almost ... but you can velcro them
> onto the sidewall of you case ]  So you can use all your available
> 3.5" disk drive bays for ZFS disks.

I was able to find some of the 64 gb snv125-S2 drives for a decent price.
 Do these also work well for L2ARC?

This brings more questions actually.

I know it's not recommended to use partitons for ZFS but does this still
apply for SSD's and the root pool?

I was thinking about making maybe using half of the ssd for the root pool
and putting the ZIL on the other half.

Or would i just be better off leaving the ZIL on the raidz drives?