On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Joerg Schilling
<joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Giovanni Tirloni <tirl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We use Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB disks and every time the OS starts
>> to bang on a region of the disk with bad blocks (which essentially
>> degrades the performance of the whole pool) we get a call from our
>> clients complaining about NFS timeouts. They usually last for 5
>> minutes but I've seen it last for a whole hour while the drive is
>> slowly dying. Off-lining the faulty disk fixes it.
>>
>> I'm trying to find out how the disks' firmware is programmed
>> (timeouts, retries, etc) but so far nothing in the official docs. In
>> this case the disk's retry timeout seem way too high for our needs and
>> I believe a timeout limit imposed by the OS would help.
>
> Did you upgrade the firmware last spring?
>
> There is a known bug in the firmware that may let them go into alzheimer mode.

No, as their "serial number check utility" was not returning any
upgrades for the disks I checked... but now I see in the forums that
they released some new versions.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a try and hopefully we can see
some improvement here.

--
Giovanni P. Tirloni