On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:04:34AM -0800, Willy wrote:
> To those concerned about this issue, there is a patched version of
> smartmontools that enables the querying and setting of TLER/ERC/CCTL
> values (well, except for recent desktop drives from Western
> Digitial).

[Joining together two recent threads...]

Can you (or anyone else on the list) confirm if this works with the
samsung drives discussed here recently? (HD145UI and the 2Tb version)

I've been a regular purchaser of WD drives for some time, and they
have been good to me.

However, I found this recent change disturbing and annoying; now that
I realise it is actually against the standards I'm even more annoyed.
It's coming time to purchase another batch of disks, so I have
begun paying closer attention again recently.

WD may try to "force" customers to buy the more expensive drives, but
find instead that their customers choose another drive manufacturer
altogether.  Users of RAID (to whom this change matters) are, by
definition, purchasers of larger numbers of drives.

I was also interested in the 4k-sector WD "advanced format" WD-EARS
drives, but if they have the same limitation, and the Samsung drives
allow ERC, my choice is made.

> It's available here
> http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/projects/erc/
>
> Unfortunately, smartmontools has limited SATA drive support in
> opensolaris, and you cannot query or set the values.  I'm looking into
> booting into linux, setting the values, and then rebooting into
> opensolaris since the settings will survive a warm reboot (but not a
> powercycle).

This clearly needs to be fixed and is a project worth someone taking
on! Any volunteers?

--
Dan.