+1

I agree 100%

I have a website whose ZFS Home File Server articles are read around 1 million
times a year, and so far I have recommended Western Digital drives
wholeheartedly, as I have found them to work flawlessly within my RAID system
using ZFS.

With this recent action by Western Digital of disabling the ability to
time-limit the error reporting period, thus effectively forcing consumer RAID
users to buy their RAID-version drives at 50%-100% price premium, I have
decided not to use Western Digital drives any longer, and have explained why
here:

http://breden.org.uk/2009/05/01/home-fileserver-a-year-in-zfs/ (look in the
Drives section)

Like yourself, I too am searching for consumer-priced drives where it's still
possible to set the error reporting period.

I'm also looking at the Samsung models at the moment -- either the HD154UI
1.5TB drive or the HD203WI 2TB drives... and if it's possible to set the error
reporting time then these will be my next purchase. They have quite good user
ratings at newegg.com...

If WD lose money over this, they might rethink their strategy. Until then, bye
bye WD.

Cheers,
Simon

http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/