On Fri, January 15, 2010 13:47, Kenny wrote:
> What is the best way to back up a zfs pool for recovery?  Recover entire
> pool or files from a pool...  Would you use snapshots and clones?
>
> I would like to move the "backup" to a different disk and not use tapes.
>
> suggestions??

What I'm trying to do is:

  1)  Make regular snapshots on the live filesystems.  So long as nothing
goes wrong, people can recover individual files from those easily.

  2)  Back up the live filesystems to one or more backup pools, with all
snapshots.  This can be restored to the live filesystem if there's a
total disaster, or mounted and individual files retrieved if necessary.

This does take up more space in the live filesystem; if one eliminated all
the old snapshots there, it would be smaller.  Since the big things in
this environment tend to stick around once they appear, I don't mind this
too much.

To accomplish 2, I'm trying to use zfs send/receive.  I'm not going to
archive the stream, just use it to create / update the backup filesystem.
So far, I'm running into frequent problems.  I can't get incrementals to
work, and the last time I made a full backup, I couldn't export the pool
afterwards.

I had a previous system using rsync working fine, but that didn't handle
ZFS ACLs properly, and when I went from Samba to cifs, that became an
issue.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info