On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 08:05:27AM -0800, Richard Elling wrote:
> > Personally, I like to start with a fresh "full" image once a month, and
> > then do daily incrementals for the rest of the month.
>
> This doesn't buy you anything.

.. as long as you scrub both the original pool and the backup pool
with the same regularity.  sending the full backup from the source is
basically the same as a scrub of the source.

If scrub ever find an error on your backup pool, you will need to
re-send the snapshots as a full stream from scratch (or at least from
a snapshot from before where the bad blocks are referenced).  You
can't just copy over the damaged file into the top filesystem on the
backup media, because if you write to that filesystem you will no
longer be able to recv new relative snapshots into it (without
rolling back with xfs recv -F)

> > To solve this problem, I have more than one external disk, and
> > occasionally rotate them.

That's a good idea regardless, with one on-site to be used regularly,
and one off-site in case of theft/fire/etc.  If you rotate, say, once
a month, and can keep at least a month-and-a-day's worth of snapshots
on the primary pool, then you can fully catch up the month-old disk
after a changeover.

> ZFS isn't like normal backups

Hooray!

--