Le 18 janv. 10 à 09:24, Edward Ned Harvey a écrit :

Personally, I like to start with a fresh "full" image once a month,
and then do daily incrementals for the rest of the month.

This doesn't buy you anything. ZFS isn't like traditional backups.

If you never send another full, then eventually the delta from the original to the present will become large. Not a problem, you're correct, as long as
your destination media is sufficiently large.

Unless I am mistaken, I believe, the following is not possible:

On the source, create snapshot "1"
Send snapshot "1" to destination
On the source, create snapshot "2"
Send incremental, from "1" to "2" to the destination.
On the source, destroy snapshot "1"
On the destination, destroy snapshot "1"

I think, since snapshot "2" was derived from "1" you can't destroy "1"
unless you've already destroyed "2"

This is definitely possible with zfs. Just try!

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)