On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Brad wrote:

> I was reading your old posts about load-shares
> http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=294580&#294580 .
>
> So between raidz and load-share "striping", raidz stripes a file system block
> evenly across each vdev but with load sharing the file system block is
> written on a vdev that's not filled up (slab??) then for the next file system
> block it continues filling up the 1MB slab until its full being moving on to
> the next one?
>
> Richard can you comment? :)

That seems to be a reasonable interpretation.  The nit is that the 1MB
changeover
is not the slab size.  Slab sizes are usually much larger.

In my list of things to remember for Oracle and ZFS:
        1. recordsize is the biggest tuning knob
        2. put redo log on a low latency device, SSD if possible
        3. avoid raidz, when possible
        4. prefer to give memory to the SGA rather than the ARC

Roch provides some good guidelines when you have an SSD and a
ZFS release which offers the logbias property here:
http://blogs.sun.com/roch/entry/synchronous_write_bias_property

 -- richard