On 24-Jan-10, at 11:26 AM, R.G. Keen wrote:

I’ll just blather a bit. The most durable data backup medium humans have come up with was invented about 4000-6000 years ago. It’s fired cuniform tablets as used in the Middle East. Perhaps one could include stone carvings of Egyptian and/or Maya cultures in that. ...

The modern computer era has nothing that even comes close. ...

And I can’t bet on a really archival data storage technology becoming available. It may not get there in my lifetime.

A better digital archival medium may already exist:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/09/11/13/019202/Synthetic-Stone- DVD-Claimed-To-Last-1000-Years

--Toby