On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:08:04PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >  - Don't be afraid to dike out the optical drive, either for case
> >    space or available ports.  [..]
> >    [..] Put the drive in an external USB case if you want,
> >    or leave it in the case connected via a USB bridge internally.
>
> It's for installs and rescues, mostly, which I still find more convenient
> on DVD.

Yeah, me too sometimes - but they're just as good with the DVD
connected via USB, while the freed up controller ports (and drive bay,
if relevant) may offer additional convenience - like not needing to
buy an extra controller yet.

> I'm nearly certain to start with adding a third 2x400 mirror.  The only
> issue is two more drives spinning (and no way to ever reduce that; until
> pool shrinking is implemented anyway).

Not strictly true, especially if your replacement disks are at least
twice the size of your originals (which is easy for 400's :-).  You
can use partitions or files on the larger disks, if shrinking is still
not there yet at that future time.  Ugly, sure, but it is a
counterexample for "no way to ever". :-)

> I see RAIDZ as a losing proposition for me.  In an 8-bay box, the options
> are 2 4-disk RAIDZ2 sets, which is 50% available space like a mirror but
> requires me to upgrade in sets of 4 drives, and exposes me to errors
> during resilver in the 4 drive replacements; or else an 8-drive RAIDZ2,
> which does give me better available space, but now requires me to replace
> in sets of *8* drives and be vulnerable through *8* resilver operations.
> I don't like either option.

Fair enough.  Note that the "vulnerable" window is still a
vulnerability to two extra failures - the second parity, plus the
original data.  There's always raidz3 :-)

I got over the reluctance to do drive replacements in larger batches
quite some time ago (well before there was zfs), though I can
certainly sympathise.  For me, drives bought incrementally never
matched up (vendors change specs too often, especially for consumer
units) and the previous matched set is still a useful matched backup
set.

> My backup scripts are a bit at risk from weird USB port issues with disk
> naming as well.  However, the namespace doesn't seem to have any
> possibility of overlapping the names of the disks in hot-swap SATA
> enclosures, so it can't overwrite any of them by any mechanism I can find.

That's not really the issue I was referring to, though it's another
risk.  I was referring to the fact that the rpool may not import at
boot time, with the usb stick in other than the slot it was originally
created.  I filed a bug for this ages ago, but can't find it right now.

--
Dan.