> I got over the reluctance to do drive replacements in
> larger batches
> quite some time ago (well before there was zfs),
> though I can
> certainly sympathise.

Yep, it's not so much of a big deal. One has to think a moment to see what is
needed, check out any possible gotchas in order to carry out the upgrade
safely, and then go ahead and do the upgrade.

>  For me, drives bought
> incrementally never
> matched up (vendors change specs too often,
> especially for consumer
> units) and the previous matched set is still a useful
> matched backup
> set.

I agree, better to research good drives, as far as is reasonably possible, and
then buy a batch of them. Test them out for a period, and always keep your old
data. And backups.

By mixing randomly purchased drives of unknown quality, people are taking
unnecessary chances. But often, they refuse to see that, thinking that all
drives are the same and they will all fail one day anyway...

Cheers,
Simon

http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/