The results are in:

My timeout issue is definitely the WD10EARS disks.
Although differences in the error rate was seen with different LSI firmware
revisions, the errors persisted. The more disks on the expander, the higher the
number with iostat errors.
This then causes zpool issues (disk failures, resilvering etc.)

I replaced 24 of them with ST32000542NS (f/w CC34), and the problem departed
with the WD disks.
Full scrub of 1.5Tb, not one error seen anywhere.

WD has chosen to cripple their consumer grade disks when used in quantities
greater than one.

I'll now need to evaluate alternative supplers of low cost disks for low end
high volume storage.

Mark.