On Feb 3, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Frank Cusack <frank+lists/ z...@linetwo.net> wrote:

On February 3, 2010 12:19:50 PM -0500 Frank Cusack <frank+lists/z...@linetwo.net > wrote:
If you do need to know about deleted files, the find method still may
be faster depending on how ddiff determines whether or not to do a
file diff.  The docs don't explain the heuristics so I wouldn't want
to guess on that.

An improvement on finding deleted files with the find method would
be to not limit your find criteria to files.  Directories with
deleted files will be newer than in the snapshot so you only need
to look at those directories.  I think this would be faster than
ddiff in most cases.

So was there a final consensus on the best way to find the difference between two snapshots (files/directories added, files/directories deleted and file/directories changed)?

Find won't do it, ddiff won't do it, I think the only real option is rsync. Of course you can zfs send the snap to another system and do the rsync there against a local previous version.

-Ross