Tim Cook wrote:
On Monday, February 8, 2010, Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjeti...@linpro.no> wrote:
Daniel Carosone <d...@geek.com.au> writes:

In that context, I haven't seen an answer, just a conclusion:

 - All else is not equal, so I give my money to some other hardware
   manufacturer, and get frustrated that Sun "won't let me" buy the
   parts I could use effectively and comfortably.
no one is selling disk brackets without disks.  not Dell, not EMC, not
NetApp, not IBM, not HP, not Fujitsu, ..
Although I am in full support of what sun is doing, to play devils
advocate: supermicro is.
True, but they're not a systems vendor. They're a parts OEM. You might be able to get larger "integrated" solutions from them (motherboard/chassis together), but you'll have to buy the rest of the parts yourself (or go to a system integrator to build a system for you).

No "brand-name" system provider allows you to purchase empty disk sleds. About the best I can come up with on that is that eBay often has a selection of various brackets, usually from 3rd-parties which copy the Brand design.

In the end, you pay for support and integration testing. Whether it is worth it depends solely on your situation. But don't expect vendors to service all (or even many) niches - they all pick their battles, and if you're not in their zone, it's a huge uphill struggle to get them to add your zone. It's that simple.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support