Hi,

as it turns out to be pretty difficult (or expensive), to find high performance dedicated ZIL devices, I had another thought:

If using a RAID controller with a large cache, eg. 4GB and battery backup in JBOD mode and using on disk ZIL – wouldn't the controller cache work as a great ZIL accelerator, requiring no dedicated ZIL?

If my understanding is correct, a battery backed RAID controller will ignore cache flush commands and thus the controller cache would be a very low latency intermediate cache wich is preserved over power failure.

Best Regards,
    Felix Buenemann