On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 06:59 -0800, Vladimir Leitenberger wrote:
> Hmm is it pissoble to upgrade my current zfs version to the new one, without
> updating whole system (pkg image-update)?
>
> The Problem is, i've made 5.1 Gb free space and tried to make a normal
> update, but upgrading from 111b to current 133 is a huge jump. 1050 Mb must
> be downloaded and the installation needs much more. 5.1gb freespace isn't
> enough for that ...

You want to go over to the install-discuss list.  It's entirely possible
to upgrade to any intermediary build - you don't have to just go all the
way up to the current one. You might be able to do the jump to b133 in 2
or 3 intermediary steps, cleaning out after each one.

That said, there is a lot of stuff being cached locally, so you can
clean it out between upgrades.  /var/pkg is particularly susceptible to
ballooning.

> (P.S. I know it's a offtopic, but could some one explain me, why osol needs
> so much space on the plate? I mean, i've got 12 gb vhhd and only 5 is free. I
> need more that 6 gb freespace to make an update. Is this normal for osol ?!)

It doesn't, really - you need ~6GB for a typical fresh install plus
goodies (+ swap + dump); 3GB seems to be about the minimum install these
days, which is slightly larger than Ubuntu Desktop. You tend to
accumulate more space in upgrades (many people forget to remove old
snapshots when finished), and the download process can eat up a variable
amount of space (up to your current size).  Here's the worst-case
example:

B111 root = 10GB
files needed to upgrade to B133 = 5GB
= total start size of 15GB

upgrade process:

(1) snapshot and create B133 boot filesystem = 0GB more
(2) upgrade the B133 filesystem = 5GB more used  (20GB now in use)
(3) boot to the new B133 filesystem = 0GB more used.
(4) delete the upgrade packages in the B133 filesystem = NO SPACE FREED
(files still exist in B111 snapshot)
(5) delete b111 snapshot = 10GB freed

So, fully upgrade a 10GB file system, you would temporarily need 10GB
more. This is fairly typical of most other UNIX/Linux systems in terms
of temporary space requirements. Just with Linux, you often forget about
it because the "temp" space is actually on CD or NFS directory (though,
not always).  Try watching your disk space during an 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' on Ubuntu or Debian, and you'll see an identical issue.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support