David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On Tue, March 16, 2010 14:59, Erik Trimble wrote:

Has there been a consideration by anyone to do a class-action lawsuit
for false advertising on this?  I know they now have to include the "1GB
= 1,000,000,000 bytes" thing in their specs and somewhere on the box,
but just because I say "1 L = 0.9 metric liters" somewhere on the box,
it shouldn't mean that I should be able to avertise in huge letters "2 L
bottle of Coke" on the outside of the package...

I think "giga" is formally defined as a prefix meaning 10^9; that is, the
definition the disk manufacturers are using is the standard metric one and
very probably the one most people expect.  There are international
standards for these things.

I'm well aware of the history of power-of-two block and disk sizes in
computers (the first computers I worked with pre-dated that period); but I
think we need to recognize that this is our own weird local usage of
terminology, and that we can't expect the rest of the world to change to
our way of doing things.

That's RetConn-ing. The only reason the stupid GiB / GB thing came around in the past couple of years is that the disk drive manufacturers pushed SI to do it. Up until 5 years ago (or so), GigaByte meant a power of 2 to EVERYONE, not just us techies. I would hardly call 40+ years of using the various giga/mega/kilo prefixes as a power of 2 in computer science as non-authoritative. In fact, I would argue that the HD manufacturers don't have a leg to stand on - it's not like they were "outside" the field and used to the "standard" SI notation of powers of 10. Nope. They're inside the industry, used the powers-of-2 for decades, then suddenly decided to "modify" that meaning, as it served their marketing purposes.

Note that NOBODY else in the computer industry does this in their marketing materials - if it's such a standard, why on earth don't the DRAM chip makers support (and market) it that way? The various Mhz/Ghz notations are powers-of-10, but they've always been that way, and more importantly, are defined by the OSes and other software as being that way. HD capacities are an anomaly, and it's purely marketing smooze.
They should get smacked hard again on this.

It would be one thing if it was never seen (or only by super-nerds like us), but for the average consumer, when they buy that nice shiny Dell with an advertised 1TB disk, then boot to Windows 7, why does Windows then say that their C drive is only 900GB in size? How is that /not/ deceptive marketing?

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support