On 3/16/2010 4:23 PM, Roland Rambau wrote:
Eric,

careful:

Am 16.03.2010 23:45, schrieb Erik Trimble:

Up until 5 years ago (or so), GigaByte meant a power of 2 to EVERYONE,
not just us techies. I would hardly call 40+ years of using the various
giga/mega/kilo prefixes as a power of 2 in computer science as
non-authoritative.

How long does it take to transmit 1 TiB over a 1 GB/sec tranmission
link, assuming no overhead ?

See ?

  hth

  -- Roland

I guess folks have gotten lazy all over.

Actually, for networking, it's all "GigaBIT", but I get your meaning. Which is why it's all properly labeled "1Gb" Ethernet, not "1GB" ethernet.

That said, I'm still under the impression that Giga = 1024^3 for networking, just like Mega = 1024^2. After all, it's 100Mbit Ethernet, which doesn't mean it runs at 100Mhz.

That is, on Fast Ethernet, I should be sending a max 100 x 1024^2 BITS per second.

Data amounts are (so far as I know universally) employing powers-of-2, while frequencies are done in powers-of-10. Thus, baud (for modems) is in powers-of-10, as are CPU/memory speeds. Memory (*RAM of all sorts), bus THROUGHPUT (i.e. PCI-E is in powers-of-2), networking throughput, and even graphics throughput is in powers-of-2.

If they want to use powers-of-10, then use the actual "normal" names, like graphics performance ratings have done (i.e. 10 billion texels, not "10 Gigatexels". Take a look at Nvidia's product literature:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

It's just the storage vendors using the broken measurements. Bastards!

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support