On 3/17/2010 17:53, Ian Collins wrote:
On 03/18/10 03:53 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Also, snapshots.  For my purposes, I find snapshots at some level a very
important part of the backup process.  My old scheme was to rsync from
primary ZFS pool to backup ZFS pool, and snapshot both pools (with
somewhat different retention schedules). My new scheme, forced by the ACL
issues, is to use ZFS send/receive (but I haven't been able to make it
work yet), including snapshots.

I'm sure the folks here can help with that.

At this point I'm waiting for the 2010.Spring; in the previous stable release I'm having large filesystems on the backup drives fail to destroy, and replication streams failing to complete, and so forth.

I have been using a two stage backup process with my main client, send/receive to a backup pool and spool to tape for off site archival.

I use a pair (on connected, one off site) of removable drives as single volume pools for my own backups via send/receive.

My own stuff is intended to be backed up by a short-cut combination -- zfs send/receive to an external drive, which I then rotate off-site (I have three of a suitable size). However, the only way that actually works so far is to destroy the pool (not just the filesystem) and recreate it from scratch, and then do a full replication stream. That works most of the time, hangs about 1/5. Anything else I've tried is much worse, with hangs approaching 100%.

I've posted here a few times about it; as I say, I'm in waiting for next stable release mode, we'll see how that does, and I'll push much harder for some kind of resolution if I still have trouble then.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info