On Fri, March 19, 2010 00:38, Rob wrote:
> Can a ZFS send stream become corrupt when piped between two hosts across a
> WAN link using 'ssh'?
>
> For example a host in Australia sends a stream to a host in the UK as
> follows:
>
> # zfs send tank/f...@now | ssh host.uk receive tank/bar

In general, errors would be detected by TCP (or by lower-level hardware
media error-checking), and the packet retransmitted.  I'm not sure what
error-checking ssh does on top of that (if any).

However, these legacy mechanisms aren't guaranteed to give  you the
less-than-one-wrong-bit-in-10^15 level of accuracy people tend to want for
enterprise backups today (or am I off a couple of orders of magnitude
there?).  They were defined when data rates were much slower and data
volumes much lower.

In addition, memory errors on the receiving host (after the TCP stack
turns the data over to the application), if undetected, could leave you
with corrupted data; not sure what the probability is there.

Every scheme has SOME weak spots.  The well-designed ones at least tell
you the bit error rate.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info