On 03/22/10 05:04 PM, Brandon High wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com <mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    NB. deduped streams should further reduce the snapshot size.

I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the list regarding send dedup, but I understand it'll use the DDT if you have dedup enabled on your dataset.
The send code (which is user-level) builds its own DDT no matter what, but it will use existing checksums if on-disk dedup is already in effect.

What's the process and penalty for using it on a dataset that is not already deduped?

The penalty is the cost of doing the checksums.

Does it build a DDT for just the data in the send?

Yes, currently limited to 20% of physical memory size.

Lori

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com <mailto:bh...@freaks.com>