On Mar 30, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Jeroen Roodhart wrote:
>> If you are going to trick the system into thinking a volatile cache is
>> nonvolatile, you
>> might as well disable the ZIL -- the data corruption potential is the same.
>
> I'm sorry? I believe the F20 has a supercap or the like? The advise on:

You are correct, I misread the Marvell (as in F20) and X4540 (as in not X4500)
combination.

> http://wikis.sun.com/display/Performance/Tuning+ZFS+for+the+F5100#TuningZFSfortheF5100-ZFSF5100
>
> Is to disable write caching altogether. We opted not to do _that_ though... :)

Good idea.  That recommendation is flawed for the general case and only
applies when all devices have nonvolatile caches.

> Are you sure about disabling write cache on the F20 is a bad thing to do?

I agree that it is a reasonable choice.

For this case, what is the average latency to the F20?
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com