Hi Roch,

> Can  you try 4 concurrent tar to four different ZFS
> filesystems (same pool).

Hmmm, you're on to something here:

http://www.science.uva.nl/~jeroen/zil_compared_e1000_iostat_iops_svc_t_10sec_interval.pdf

In short: when using two exported file systems total time goes down to around
4mins (IOPS maxes out at around 5500 when adding all four vmods together). When
using four file systems total time goes down to around 3min30s (IOPS maxing out
at about 9500).

I figured it is either NFS or a per file system data structure in the ZFS/ZIL
interface. To rule out NFS I tried exporting two directories using "default
NFS" shares (via /etc/dfs/dfstab entries). To my surprise this seems to bypass
the ZIL all together (dropping to 100 IOPS, which results from our RAIDZ2
configuration). So clearly "ZFS sharenfs" is more than a nice front end for NFS
configuration :).

But back to your suggestion: You clearly had a hypothesis behind your question.
Care to elaborate?

With kind regards,

Jeroen