On Sat, Apr 10 at  7:22, Daniel Carosone wrote:
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 10:21:08AM -0700, Eric Andersen wrote:
 If I could find a reasonable backup method that avoided external
 enclosures altogether, I would take that route.

I'm tending to like bare drives.

If you have the chassis space, there are 5-in-3 bays that don't need
extra drive carriers, they just slot a bare 3.5" drive.  For e.g.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994077

I have a few of the 3-in-2 versions of that same enclosure from the
same manufacturer, and they installed in about 2 minutes in my tower
case.

The 5-in-3 doesn't have grooves in the sides like their 3-in-2 does,
so some cases may not accept the 5-in-3 if your case has tabs to
support devices like DVD drives in the 5.25" slots.

The grooves are clearly visible in this picture:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994075

The doors are a bit "light" perhaps, but it works just fine for my
needs and holds drives securely.  The small fans are a bit noisy, but
since the box lives in the basement I don't really care.

--eric

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@mail.bounceswoosh.org