On Apr 17, 2010, at 11:51 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Dave Vrona
>>
>> 1) Mirroring.  Leaving cost out of it, should ZIL and/or L2ARC SSDs be
>> mirrored ?
>
> IMHO, the best answer to this question is the one from the ZFS Best
> Practices guide.  (I wrote part of it.)
> In short:
>
> You have no need to mirror your L2ARC cache device, and it's impossible even
> if you want to for some bizarre reason.
>
> For zpool < 19, which includes all present releases of Solaris 10 and
> Opensolaris 2009.06, it is critical to mirror your ZIL log device.  A failed
> unmirrored log device would be the permanent death of the pool.

I do not believe this is a true statement. In large part it will depend on
the nature of the failure -- all failures are not created equal. It has also
been shown that such pools are recoverable, albeit with tedious, manual
procedures required.  Rather than saying this is a "critical" issue, I could
say it is "preferred."  Indeed, there are *many* SPOFs in the typical system
(any x86 system) which can be considered similarly "critical."

Finally, you have choices -- you can use an HBA with nonvolatile write
cache and avoid the need for separate log device.
  -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com