But if the X25E doesn't honor cache flushes then it really doesn't matter if
they are mirrored- they both may cache the data, not write it out, and leave me
screwed.

I'm running 2009.06 and not one of the newer developer candidates that handle
ZIL losses gracefully (or at all- at least as far as I understand things).

As for the optimal performance- a single pair probably won't give me optimal
performance- but based on all the numbers I've seen it's still going to beat
using the pool disks. If I find the ZIL is still a bottleneck I'll definitely
add a second set of SSD's- but I've got a lot of testing to do before I get
there.