So if the Intel X25E is a bad device- can anyone recommend an SLC device with
good firmware? (Or an MLC drive that performs as well?)

I've got 80 spindles in 5 16 bay drive shelves (76 15k RPM SAS drives in 19 4
disk raidz sets, 2 hot spares, and 2 bays set aside for a mirrored ZIL)
connected to two servers (so if one fails I can import on the other one). Host
based cards are not an option for my ZIL- I need something that sits in the
array and can be imported by the other system.

I was planning on using a pair of mirrored SLC based Intel X25E's because of
their superior write performance but if it's going to destroy my pool- then
it's useless.

Does anyone else have something that can match their write performance without
breaking ZFS?