> use a slog at all if it's not durable?  You should
> disable the ZIL
> instead.

This is basically where I was going. There only seems to be one SSD that is
considered "working", the Zeus IOPS. Even if I had the money, I can't buy it.
As my application is a home server, not a datacenter, things like NFS breaking
if I don't reboot the clients is a non-issue. As long as the on-disk data is
consistent so I don't have to worry about the entire pool going belly-up, I'm
happy enough. I might lose 30 seconds of data, worst case, as a result of
running without ZIL. Considering that I can't buy a proper ZIL at a cost I can
afford, and an improper ZIL is not worth much, I don't see a reason to bother
with ZIL at all. I'll just get a cheap large SSD for L2ARC, disable ZIL, and
call it a day.

For my use, I'd want a device in the $200 range to even consider an slog
device. As nothing even remotely close to that price range exists that will
work properly at all, let alone with decent performance, I see no point in ZIL
for my application. The performance hit is just too severe to continue using it
without an slog, and there's no slog device I can afford that works properly,
even if I ignore performance.