Hi,

I know the general discussion is about flash SSD's connected through
SATA/SAS or possibly PCI-E these days. So excuse me if I'm askign
something that makes no sense...

I have a server that can hold 6 U320 SCSI disks. Right now I put in 5
300GB for a data pool, and 1 18GB for the root pool.

I've been thinking lately that I'm not sure I like the root pool being
unprotected, but I can't afford to give up another drive bay. So
recently the idea occurred to me to go the other way. If I were to get 2
USB Flash Thunb drives say 16 or 32 GB each, not only would i be able to
mirror the root pool, but I'd also be able to put a 6th 300GB drive into
the data pool.

That led me to wonder whether partitioning out 8 or 12 GB on a 32GB
thumb drive would be beneficial as an slog?? I bet the USB bus won't be
as good as SATA or SAS, but will it be better than the internal ZIL on
the U320 drives?

This seems like at least a "win-win", and possibly a "win-win-win".
Is there some other reason I'm insane to consider this?

  -Kyle