The last couple times i've read this questions, people normally responded
with:

It depends....

you might not even NEED a slog, there is a script floating around which can
help determine that...

If you could benefit from one, it's going to be IOPS which help you....so if
the usb drive has more iops than your pool configuration does, then it might
give some benefit.....but then again, usb might not be as safe either, and
if an older version you may want to mirror it.