On 5/25/2010 11:39 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Kyle McDonald
>>
>> I've been thinking lately that I'm not sure I like the root pool being
>> unprotected, but I can't afford to give up another drive bay.
>>
> I'm guessing you won't be able to use the USB thumbs as a boot device.  But
> that's just a guess.

No I've installed to an 8GB one on my laptop and booted from it. And
this server offers USB drives as a boot option, I don't see why it
wouldn't work. but I won't kow till I try it.
> However, I see nothing wrong with mirroring your primary boot device to the
> USB.  At least in this case, if the OS drive fails, your system doesn't
> crash.  You're able to swap the OS drive and restore your OS mirror.

True. If nothing else I may do at least that.

>> That led me to wonder whether partitioning out 8 or 12 GB on a 32GB
>> thumb drive would be beneficial as an slog??
>>
> I think the only way to find out is to measure it.  I do have an educated
> guess though.  I don't think, even the fastest USB flash drives are able to
> work quickly, with significantly low latency.  Based on measurements I made
> years ago, so again I emphasize, only way to find out is to test it.

Yes I guess I"ll have to try some benchmarks. The thing that got me
thinking was that many of these drives support a windows feature called
'Ready boost' - which I think is just windows swapping to the USB drive
instead of HD - but Windows does a performance test on the device to
seee it's fast enough. I thought maybe if it's faster to swap to than a
HD it might be faster for an SLOG too.

But you're right the only way to know is to measure it.
> One thing you could check, which does get you a lot of mileage for "free"
> is:  Make sure your HBA has a BBU, and enable the WriteBack.  In my
> measurements, this gains about 75% of the benefit that log devices would
> give you.

My HBA's have 256MB of BBC. And it's enabled on all 6 drives, so that
should help. However I may have hit a bug inthe 'isp' driver (still have
to debug and see if that's the root cause) and I may need to yank the
RAID enabler, and go back to straight SCSI.

  -Kyle