I have a series of daily snapshots against a set of data that go for several
months, but then the server crashed.  In a hurry, we set up a new server and
just copied over the live data and didn't bother with the snapshots (since zfs
send/recv was too slow and would have taken hours and hours to restore).  We've
now run on the replacement server for a year or so and it's time to upgrade to
a new, faster server.

As part of building up our newest server, I wanted to combine the older
snapshots with the daily snapshots generated on the server that is currently
running.  I was wondering what the proper way to do this might be.

I was considering the following process for building up the new server :

1.  Copy over all the snapshots from a backup of the server that crashed
(11/01/2008 - 7/14/2009) using zfs send/recv
2.  Copy over the oldest snapshot from the current server (7/15/2009) using
rsync so that the data from that snapshot is the live filesystem data on the
new server.
3.  Take a snapshot on the new server and call it the same thing as the
snapshot that I copied the data from (i.e. datap...@nightly20090715)
4.  Do an incremental zfs send/recv from 7/15/2009 to today from the current
server.

I don't know if this would work, or if it would leave me in a consistent state
even if I did make it work.  Any suggestions?