Thomas Burgess wrote:

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too...

Is there anyway to retain snapshot data this way? I've read about the ZFS replay/mirror features, but my impression was that this was more so for a development mirror for testing rather than a reliable backup? This is the only way I know of that one could do something like this. Is there some other way to create a solid clone, particularly with a machine that won't have the same drive configuration?

I recently used zfs send/recv to copy a bunch of datasets from a raidz2 box to a box made on mirrors.  It works fine.

ZFS send/recv looks very cool and very convenient. I wonder what it was that I read that suggested not relying on it for backups? Maybe this was alluding to the notion that like relying on RAID for a backup, if there is corruption your mirror (i.e. machine you are using with zfs recv) will be corrupted too?

At any rate, thanks for answering this question! At some point if I go this route I'll test send and recv functionality to give all of this a dry run.

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful, professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.