> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Arne Jansen
>
> There is absolutely no sense in having slog devices larger than
> then main memory, because it will never be used, right?

Also:  A TXG is guaranteed to flush within 30 sec.  Let's suppose you have a
super fast device, which is able to log 8Gbit/sec (which is unrealistic).
That's 1Gbyte/sec, unrealistically theoretically possible, at best.  You do
the math.  ;-)

That being said, it's difficult to buy an SSD smaller than 32G.  So what are
you going to do?  Slice it and use the remaining space for cache?  Some
people do.  Some people may even get a performance benefit by doing so.  But
if you do, now you've got a cache and a log both competing for IO on the
same device.  The performance benefit degrades for sure.

My advice is to simply acknowledge wasted space in your log device, forget
about it and move on.  Same thing you did with all the wasted space on your
mirrored OS boot device, which can't (or shouldn't) be used by your data
pool.