On 6/14/2010 12:10 PM, Neil Perrin wrote:
On 06/14/10 12:29, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

It is good to keep in mind that only small writes go to the dedicated
slog. Large writes to to main store. A succession of that many small
writes (to fill RAM/2) is highly unlikely. Also, that the zil is not
read back unless the system is improperly shut down.

I thought all sync writes, meaning everything NFS and iSCSI, went into the slog - IIRC the docs says so.

Check a month or two back in the archives for a post by Matt Ahrens. It seems that larger writes (>32k?) are written directly to main store. This is probably a change from the original zfs design.

Bob

If there's a slog then the data, regardless of size, gets written to the slog.

If there's no slog and if the data size is greater than zfs_immediate_write_sz/zvol_immediate_write_sz (both default to 32K) then the data is written as a block into the pool and the block pointer
written into the log record. This is the WR_INDIRECT write type.

So Matt and Roy are both correct.

But wait, there's more complexity!:

If logbias=throughput is set we always use WR_INDIRECT.

If we just wrote more than 1MB for a single zil commit and there's more than 2MB waiting
then we start using the main pool.

Clear as mud?  This is likely to change again...

Neil.

How do I monitor the amount of live (i.e. non-committed) data in the slog? I'd like to spend some time with my setup, seeing exactly how much I tend to use.

I'd suspect that very few use cases call for more than a couple (2-4) GB of slog...

I'm trying to get hard numbers as I'm working on building a DRAM/battery/flash slog device in one of my friend's electronics prototyping shops. It would be really nice if I could solve 99% of the need with 1 or 2 2GB SODIMMs and the chips from a cheap 4GB USB thumb drive...

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support