On 07/14/10 04:20 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
Here's a really simple way to get some pricing information:

Go to Dell.com.  Servers.  Servers.  Rack.  Enhanced.  PowerEdge R710
(Customize.)
You could pick any server that supports solaris.  I just chose the R710
because I know it does.

Operating system:
        None    $1299  ($0)
        1yr basic $1768  ($469)
        1yr standard $2149 ($850)
        1yr premium $2569 ($1270)
        3yr basic $2533 ($1234)
        3yr standard $3619 ($2320)
        3yr premium $4753 ($3454)

If you're new to solaris etc, I might not recommend the Dell because
installation isn't straightforward.  Hardware support exists, but it's less
"enterprise" than what you might expect.  The sun hardware is the
recommended way to go, but it's also more expensive.

Not in my neck of the woods, Sun have always been most competitive.

--
Ian.