> never make it any better. Just for a record: Solaris
> 9 and 10 from Sun
> was a plain crap to work with, and still is
> inconvenient conservative
> stagnationware. They won't build a free cool tools

Everybody but geeks _wants_ stagnationware, if you means
something that just runs.  Even my old Sun Blade 100 at home
still has Solaris 9 on it, because I haven't had a day to kill to
split the mirror, load something newer like the last SXCE, and
get everything on there working on it.  (My other SPARC is running
a semi-recent SXCE, and pending activation of an already installed
most recent SXCE.  Sitting at a Sun, I still prefer CDE to GNOME,
and the best graphics card I have for that box won't work with
the newer Xorg server, so I can't see putting OpenSolaris on it.)

For instance, recent enough Solaris 10 updates to be able to do zfs
root are pretty decent; you get into the habit of doing live upgrades
even for patching, so you can minimize downtime.  Hardly stagnant,
considering that the initial release of Solaris 10 didn't even have
zfs in it yet.

> for Solaris, hence
> the whole thing will turned to be a dry job for
> trained monkeys
> wearing suits in a corporations. Nothing more. That's
> a philosophy of
> last decade, but IT now is very changing and is very
> different. That
> is why Oracle's idea to kill community is totally
> stupid. And that's
> why IBM will win, because you run the same Linux on
> their hardware as
> you run at your home.
>
> Yes, Oracle will run good for a while, using the
> inertia of a hype
> (and latest their financial report proves that), but
> soon people will
> realize that Oracle is just another evil mean beast
> with great
> marketing and the same sh*tty products as they always
> had. Buy Solaris
> for any single little purpose? No way ever! I may buy
> support and/or
> security patches, updates. But not the OS itself. If
> that is the only
> option, then I'd rather stick to Linux from other
> vendor, i.e. RedHat.
> That will lead me to no more talk to Oracle about
> software at OS
> level, only applications (if I am an idiot enough to
> jump into APEX or
> something like that). Hence, if all I can do is talk
> only about
> hardware (well, not really, because no more
> hardware-only support!!!),
> then I'd better talk to IBM, if I need a brand and I
> consider myself
> too dumb to get SuperMicro instead. IBM System x3550
> M3 is still
> better by characteristics than equivalent from
> Oracle, it is OEM if
> somebody needs that at first place and is still
> cheaper than Oracle's
> similar class. And IBM stuff just works great (at
> least if we talk
> about hardware).

I'm not going to say you're wrong, because in part I agree
with you.  Systems people can run at home, desktops, laptops,
those are all what get future mindshare and eventually get
people with big bucks spending them.

But the simple fact that Sun went down suggests that
just being all lovey-dovey (and plenty of people thought that
Sun wasn't lovey-dovey _enough_?) won't keep you in business
either.

[...]
> > But for home users? I doubt it. I was about to
> build a
> > big storage box at home running OpenSolaris, I
> froze that project.

Mine's running SXCE, and unless I can find a solution
to getting decent graphics working with Xorg on it,
probably always will be.  But the big (well, target 9TB redundant;
presently 3TB redundant) storage is doing just fine.
Being super latest and greatest just isn't necessary for that.

> Same here. A lot of nice ideas and potential
> open-source tools
> basically frozen and I think gonna be dumped. We
> (geeks) won't build
> stuff for Larry just for free. We need OS back opened
> in reward. So I
> think OpenSolaris is pretty much game over, thanks to
> the Oracle. Some
> Oracle fanboys might call it a plain FUD, hope to get
> updates etc, but
> the reality is that Oracle to OpenSolaris is pretty
> much the same what
> Palm did for BeOS.
>
> Enjoy your last svn_134 build.

I can't rule out that possibility, but I see some reasons
to think that it's worth being patient for a couple more
months.  As it is, I find myself updating my Mac and Windows
every darn week; so I'm pretty much past getting a kick out
of updating just to see what's kewl.