On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 11:48 +0900, BM wrote:

> But hey, why to fork ZFS and mess with a stale Solaris code, if the
> entire future of Solaris is a closed proprietary payware anyway? And
> opposite to ZFS, we have totally free BTRFS that has been moved to the
> kernel.org and is *free* and is for Linux that is *already* popular
> AND *free*? Yes, Linux is not the best OS, if you compare to Solaris
> in some technical parts that would make things just more
> sophisticated. But on the other hand Linux is totally free, cheap and
> you can live with these inconveniences perfectly (just drink more
> water and breath more deeply). You can curse these inconveniences, but
> at the end it still works cheap and reliable and is just OK to get
> things done. Well, BTRFS sucks at some points (software RAID at kernel
> level comes to mind), but it is still better FS for Linux in many
> places than extN, but it is still free and more popular. Maybe today
> BTRFS is not the right answer as ZFS is to the market, but tomorrow it
> probably will be just as opposite, I think: geeks will use BTRFS and
> Linux and soon Oracle will deeply regret they're killed Solaris, but
> no one will throw their energy to make Solaris at least as strong as
> Linux is now.

I think you're wrong on so many points here about ZFS that I don't know
where to begin, so I won't even try.  I am curious why you're hanging
about in here though, if you're so convinced that there is no future in
ZFS.

> > I believe I can safely say that Nexenta is committed to the continued
> > development and enhancement of this code base -- and to doing so in the
> > open.
> Yeah, and Nexenta is also committed to backport newest updates from
> 140 and younger builds just back to snv_134. So I can imagine that
> soon new OS from Nexenta will be called "Super Nexenta Version 134".

We're working on upgrading to a newer version, but its too risky to put
the latest code into production yet.  For 4.x which is in early
development right now, we will have much newer bits.

> :-)
>
> Currently from what I see, I think Nexenta will also die eventually.
> Because of BTRFS for Linux, Linux's popularity itself and also thanks
> to the Oracle's help. Sorry telling this to you, working @nexenta.com
> though... You, guys, are doing a very good job, but in fact, your days
> are also doomed, I think.

I think you're wrong.  Very much so.  And unlike you, I've put my money
where my mouth is.

That said, as you appear to be so firmly convinced that there is no
possible positive way forward for ZFS or Solaris, I recommend you go
elsewhere instead of apparently wasting your time here.  You seem to be
totally convinced in the future of Linux and BTRFS, so I recommend you
leave this community and join that one.

Meanwhile I'm committed to positive solutions.  And I'll have more to
say about specific answers to some of the concerns raised here soon.
But I'm focused on solving real problems right now, and don't want to
get caught up in a mail storm debate before the critical foundations are
laid, so for now you'll just have to be patient.

In short, I'm not interested in hearing any more of the whining about
how terrible things are.  However, if you want to work on a positive
solution, contact me out of band and I'll talk with you more.

        - Garrett