> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Linder, Doug
>
> On a related note - all other things being equal, is there any reason
> to choose NFS over ISCI, or vice-versa?  I'm currently looking at this

iscsi and NFS are completely different technologies.  If you use iscsi, then
all the initiators (clients) are the things which format and control the
filesystem.  So the limitations of the filesystem are determined by
whichever clustering filesystem you've chosen to implement.  It probably
won't do snapshots and so forth.  Although the ZFS filesystem could make a
snapshot, it wouldn't be automatically mounted or made available without the
clients doing explicit mounts...

With NFS, the filesystem is formatted and controlled by the server.  Both
WAFL and ZFS do some pretty good things with snapshotting, and making
snapshots available to users without any effort.