> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Phil Harman
>
> Milkowski and Neil Perrin's zil synchronicity [PSARC/2010/108] changes
> with sync=disabled, when the changes work their way into an available
>
> The fact that people run unsafe systems seemingly without complaint for
> years assumes that they know silent data corruption when they
> see^H^H^Hhear it ... which, of course, they didn't ... because it is
> silent ... or having encountered corrupted data, that they have the
> faintest idea where it came from. In my day to day work I still find
> many people that have been (apparently) very lucky.

Running with sync disabled, or ZIL disabled, you could call "unsafe" if you
want to use a generalization and a stereotype.

Just like people say "writeback" is unsafe.  If you apply a little more
intelligence, you'll know, it's safe in some conditions, and not in other
conditions.  Like ... If you have a BBU, you can use your writeback safely.
And if you're not sharing stuff across the network, you're guaranteed the
disabled ZIL is safe.  But even when you are sharing stuff across the
network, the disabled ZIL can still be safe under the following conditions:

If you are only doing file sharing (NFS, CIFS) and you are willing to
reboot/remount from all your clients after an ungraceful shutdown of your
server, then it's safe to run with ZIL disabled.

If you're unsure, then adding SSD nonvolatile log device, as people have
said, is the way to go.