Yes I noticed that thread a while back and have been doing a great deal of
testing with various scsi_vhci options.
I am disappointed that the thread hasn't moved further since I also suspect
that it is related to mpt-sas or multipath or expander related.

I was able to get aggregate writes up to 500MB out to the disks but reads have
not improved beyond an aggregate average of about 50-70MBps for the pool.

 I did not look much at read speeds during alot of my previous testing because
I thought write speeds were my issue... And I've since realized that my
userland write speed problem from zpool <-> zpool was actually read limited.

Since then I've tried mirrors, stripes, raidz, checked my drive caches, tested
recordsizes, volblocksizes, clustersizes, combinations therein, tried
vol-backed luns, file-backed luns, wcd=false - etc.

Reads from disk are slow no matter what.  Of course - once the arc cache is
populated, the userland experience is blazing - because the disks are not being
read.

Seeing write speeds so much faster that read strikes me as quite strange from a
hardware perspective, though, since writes also invoke a read operation - do
they not?