I can achive 140MBps to individual disks until I hit a 1GBps system ceiling
which I suspect 1GBps may be all that the 4x SAS HBA connection on a 3Gbps sas
expander can handle. (just a guess)

Anyway, with ZFS or SVM I can't do much beyond a single disk performance total
(if that)  I am thinking my hardware is OK and this is something else.

I wonder if my issue could have anything to do with:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=33739&#33739

Anyway, I've already blown away my OSOL install to test Linux performance  - so
I can't test ZFS at the moment.  However - does anyone know if the above post
could be related to sequential performance?  Toward the end they suggest
increasing an sd tunable so that more data is sent to the device in some
respect - if I understand it correctly - so that the harddrive has enough data
to work with on every rotation?