On Mon, Aug 16 at 11:15, Tim Cook wrote:
  Or, for all you know, Chris Mason's contract has a non-compete that states
  if he leaves Oracle he's not allowed to work on any project he was a part
  of for five years.

IANAL, but as my discussions with employment lawyers in my state have
explained to me, a non-compete cannot legally prevent you from earning
a living.  If your one skill is in writing filesystems, you cannot be
prevented from doing so by a noncompete.

However, please get your own legal advice, as it varies significantly
state-to-state.

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@mail.bounceswoosh.org