> see, that's good, and is a realistic future scenario for ZFS, AFAICT:
> there can be a branch that's safe to collaborate on, which cannot go
> into Solaris 11 and cannot be taken proprietary by Nexenta, either.

In fact, we are in the process of creating a non-profit foundation for
Illumos which can receive copyright assignment, and which will have a
board that will not be dominated by any one company, and a set of rules
which will guarantee that the code is not dependent on the good will or
good behavior of any company or even group of companies.

In fact, Nexenta is *strongly* in favor of this kind of organization, so
while the funding for it comes from Nexenta (mostly), Nexenta will not
have any controlling influence.

It takes time to set this stuff up, so please be patient.

        - Garrett